Are you interested in spending an awesome year working for an international youth organisation? Applications for our three voluntary service positions with SHL and SAME are open now.
Throughout the voluntary year, you will get the chance to explore European youth work and activism, organise international youth encounters, work on publicity and much more. You will develop yourself, while doing something meaningful for the youth of Europe. Are you looking forward to this job? Do not hesitate and apply!
The voluntary service is organised by the two organistions SAME and SHL. SAME stands for ‘Solidarity Action Day Movement in Europe’. The movement includes several European youth organizations which carry out an annual Solidarity Action Day. During this day, pupils get the chance to exercise a job of their choice instead of going to school. Their salaries are used to support youth-related projects all over whole world. By offering learning possibilities and spreading the concept of the Solidarity Action Day, SAME empowers young people to get informed, take a stand and act.
Schüler*innen Helfen Leben (SHL) is one of SAME’s member organisation and runs the Solidarity Action Day campaign in Germany. The organisation implements youth and education projects in Southeastern Europe, Jordan, Ukraine and Germany with the aim of strengthening the rights and participation of children and young people. All our volunteering positions are registered with and supervised by SHL, the work nonetheless focusses mainly on SAME activities.
Your voluntary service
Both organisations run a joint programme and office in the city of Lübeck, Northern Germany. The programme connects young people from all over Europe through the concept of the Solidarity Action Day and gives them the opportunity to experience and shape a joint Europe. As a volunteer, you will be part of our international team working in the Lübeck office and promote European youth activism. Together with you, we will build bridges and bring together young people from all over Europe!
We aim to spread the Solidarity Action Day across Europe and to expand the impact of the Solidarity Action Day by organising international youth encounters and seminars. Additionally, we promote European solidarity on a local level by organising activities and public events for city society and youngsters in Lübeck, where our office is based. Two volunteering positions are about European youth activism (international) and one is about local publicity and networking (German-speaking).
The voluntary service has been an incredible experience. Working with youngsters from all over Europe, organizing events, managing social media, travelling, and more - that is the life during a voluntary service. Be bold, try out and use this unique opportunity!
What we offer
- 13 months full-time voluntary service (40 hours per week, from mid of July 2024 to mid of August 2025)
- location: SAME and SHL office in Lübeck (Northern Germany)
- payment of a monthly pocket money of currently 390 € per month
- payment of the costs for a fully equipped apartment in Lübeck, which is shared with your co-volunteers
- 26 vacation days
- coverage of costs for the obligatory health insurance, visa and other necessary expenses in preparation of the voluntary service; support for the required administrative steps
- payment of the costs for one return journey to your hometown at a freely chosen time during your voluntary service
- pedagogical support during the voluntary service
- participation in a preparation, midterm and final seminar and the opportunity to participate in further internal and external trainings
- project visits to SAME’s and SHL’s network partners all over Europe
- an intriguing and dynamic working environment and creative freedom for own ideas
- an interesting job profile with a high variety of tasks
- a young and motivated team valuing youth participation and voluntary work
European youth activism (2 positions)
One of our two volunteering positions on European youth activism focuses on spreading the Solidarity Action Day across Europe and engaging with our international network of European member and partner organisations, the other one mainly organises international youth encounters and educational activities. Both of them support youth engagement of young Europeans and organise publicity, promotion and social media work for SAME. You can find a detailed job description and the required skills for the position here.
Apply now: more information and application here
Local publicity and networking (1 position)
Our volunteer dealing with local publicity and networking promotes our European activities in Lübeck. Very good German skills are required for this position. The volunteer supports our local publicity events and press work and takes care of our local social media work. The position plays a crucial role in establishing contacts to local youngsters and partners and supports spreading the Solidarity Action Day in Lübeck. You can find a detailed job description and the required skills for the position directly on the SHL website.